Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Contemplation / Stocktaking / Reflection
Take a good look at yourself.
This hexagram teaches the value of self-reflection and stocktaking. It is also concerned with one’s overall view of life, which may be based upon poor vision or correct vision. While the first two lines speak of poor vision, all the other lines are positive and indicate that one’s vision is properly enhanced by self-reflection and thus correct.
1. You should see yourself and the situation you are in from a greater distance, or point of view. As long as you are entangled with it, you will not get a correct vision and appreciation of the complexity of the situation. Try to see yourself embedded in a greater systemic network so that you can detect all the influences you are exposed to. For so doing, it is necessary for you to be honest with yourself. When trying to influence others, you must believe that what you are conveying is true and accepted by your inner mind as being true!
2. Your self-development depends on a correct vision of yourself. As long as your mind is clouded with self-defeating beliefs, or else with self-aggrandizing ideas, you cannot develop yourself. You need to adopt latitude and insight in the greater social perspective so that you can become influential. At the same time, you should calmly trust your inner guidance.
3. Investigate your inner motives from the point of view of a broad vision. This will enable you to decide about the next step to take. Trust your inner guidance that everything will unfold in time for you to do the right thing in the right moment. The best way to see how you are doing in life is not by second-guessing what kind of person you are, but by attentively assessing how you come over to others, and if that influence is positive and beneficial. If it is, you know you are on the right track.
4. You are in an excellent position now for developing a great vision, one that surpasses your own position, and for overseeing the social implications of your actions. It is a position of leadership that, if you have the necessary social awareness, can certainly lead you to assuming a situation of considerable social influence.
5. True wisdom is to be able to look at yourself through the eyes of others. You are now in a situation of leadership and as soon as you are able to assume some level of objective self-assessment, you shall become a role model for others. This is very rewarding!
6. Heaving reached this level of objectiveness in assessing yourself, you can focus upon eternal verities, thereby becoming a light for many others who look up to you. You will discover that the ultimate victory in life is the victory over your own ego, and the faculty to look upon life, and others, from an unselfish and broad-minded perspective.