Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Nourishment / Nutrition / Self-Cultivation
Seek the right source of income. Restrain eating and speaking.
This hexagram, Yi, means self-cultivation and nourishment that is obtained in the proper manner, peacefully and lawfully. The two trigrams, the lower and the upper, exemplify different kinds of nourishment. The teaching here is how to use restraint in eating and care in speaking, thereby bringing the inward and outward flow of energies into balance.
1. Envy and jealousy surely are mental poisons. When you envy others to enjoy their blessings, you block the way those blessings can come to you. In addition, such an attitude will negatively impact upon your sense of self-worth and dignity. The right attitude is to bless all those you see are fortunate, and to calmly declare that you will attract the same for yourself within the good order of things, and at the right time.
2. The source of wealth lies in yourself, in your talents and abilities you were born with and which you should cultivate. If you disregard this fact and search for income through other people’s goodwill or favor offered to you, you may lose your independence and in the long run, your self-esteem may be eroded. Always try to stand on your own feet, and provide sustenance for yourself through work and the proper handling of your financial affairs.
Only exceptionally and when it’s required by the nature of your project or idea, ask others for help and support.
3. You need not only material nourishment; your soul also needs to be fed with proper education, the contemplation of beauty, the cultivation of a sense of aesthetics, and the engagement, actively or passively, in the pursuit of art and music. If however you engage yourself only in satisfying your material desires and sensual pleasures and neglect to feed your soul and spirit, you will deteriorate in all areas of your life, materially, emotionally, and spiritually.
4. In this position you may look out for helpers, and you will find them. This in turn will open you the way to gain influence over others so that you can expand your affairs.
5. This is a time of reflection and preparation. Avoid distractions, improper nutrition, great expenditures, travel or indulging in any personal extravagances. It may be beneficial to ask a person you trust for advice. Meanwhile be patient, and confident that the right time for action will come.
6. Your social awareness leads to a new path opening for you in which you have increased responsibilities and you gain influence upon others, or the public. You can now achieve your project, you may travel to another destination, both mentally and physically. All your projects will succeed because you care for the welfare of all!