Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Fire / Synergy / Cooperation
Bright and prosperous. Cultivate the heart and cooperate.
This is another of the eight hexagrams bearing double trigrams. Here they double fire, thereby reinforcing the meaning. This hexagram symbolizes brightness, light, and the energy of the heart. On the practical level, this hexagram instructs humanity in the use of brightness and mental illumination for the guidance of others. To radiate brightness means that one radiates warmth in all of one’s actions.
1. What you begin with a positive attitude, being faithful to your highest principles, you can accomplish well. Focus upon your goal and keep a ‘beginner’s mind,’ then you will advance.
2. Practice the middle way and avoid excess, be moderate, and you will advance easily now because your energy is properly centered.
3. Aging is a natural process. To meet aging with negative thoughts and ideas, or with regret, is an attitude that leads to loss, both materially and spiritually. Keep in mind that it is never too late in life for you to learn something new, even if you should have learnt it when you were much younger. Similarly, what you may not have achieved in your younger years, you may well set your idea to realizing now, and in the years to come. Such an attitude is positive and constructive; it helps you to keep your energy high.
4. Struggling for material success alone is not enough in a prosperous life. You must have the mental equivalent for anything you desire in your outward life. If you don’t practice mental techniques such as visualization or positive prayer, and instead just try to work harder for earning more, you may cause strain to your body and those around you. Then, there is a danger that you end up in a burnout or attract a disease. The magic word here is balance. You need to keep a balance between your inner and your outer life, and between giving and receiving, then your life will be harmonious and prosperous.
5. Often times, self-reflection leads to sadness because we recognize the mistakes committed in the past. However, such a broadening of your insight is often a blessing in that it brings the change that is needed for situating yourself on a higher level of being, be it materially, or spiritually, or both. You will see that the more you care for the wellbeing of others, the more destiny cares for your own wellbeing.
6. Do not judge and do not treat others harshly, even if you recognize their mistaken attitude. Negative feelings attract negative reactions, while when you practice latitude of mind, moderation and understanding, meeting others in a good-willed manner, you will attract all you need to be successful! And your character will be strengthened.