Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Constancy / Continuation / Perseverance
It brings advantage to be constant and persevere.
This hexagram teaches the value of constancy in all human relations and for realizing projects. The energy cycles of all life are based upon an invariable subtle law. All natural phenomena are in a continuous process of change, with constancy as the underlying principle. In the education of children, constancy equally is important for their feeling emotional secure. The lines indicate when persistence is appropriate and when one should desist and remain still.
1. Rushing into things, relationships or situations it not a natural approach. Excessive demands at the beginning of a relationship may interfere with trust-building. If this line is received for a new project, check if you are not too hasty in your approach to make things happen.
2. It is always smarter to use a cautious approach for building mutual respect and appreciation. This line indicates that a balanced attitude brings the best result. That means to not overdo things, or overstress a relationship, but to do just enough to keep things moving in the right direction. When you are faithful to your goal, you will be guided to act appropriately.
3. Constancy cannot be built if you a fear-ridden or if you doubt your motives. Constancy both in relationships and in the realization of a project means to give a sustained effort, and an inner focus on the outcome. If you are too fickle, or moody, you may lack this constant focus and as a result, you may see your chances vanish in a relationship, or you may slacken your efforts in the realization of a project. This is always regrettable for constancy doesn’t really mean effort; it just means to give a little energy consistently, on a daily basis. You can get above fear and doubt by building strong faith and a positive attitude.
4. You may realize at this point that you had fostered illusions and that there is no basis for continuation of your project or relationship. If you trust your inner guidance you may get a new creative idea or you may realize what responsible action to take to remedy the present situation.
5. This is a line that indicates leadership. The counsel of this line is that perseverance or constancy are not enough in a position of leadership for reality also asks us to make adjustments or even change direction. This is why the I Ching considers flexibility, not persistence, as the highest virtue of a true leader! If you received this line for a project or relationship, you may check if you are flexible and creative enough in your approach, and how much you could gain with adopting a different viewpoint or perspective!
6. You may realize at this point that you slackened in your efforts to be constant and enduring, else you may have used too much energy and feel exhausted. Mindfulness may help you to get back on track, or you may lose the opportunity.