34. DA ZHUANG
Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Power of the Great / Great Strength / Use of Strength
Apply strength correctly. Use power without abuse.
Traditionally the image used in several lines of his hexagram was the goat, which symbolizes too much strength. While there is a predominance of yang, this hexagram teaches how to correctly channel and apply this energy in order not to damage the two yin lines on top. Too much demonstration of strength usually creates resistance, which is why a quiet humble attitude is beneficial, and power can be maintained in this manner.
1. Advancing must be gradual so as to be in accordance with the law of life. This line symbolizes the beginning of a project or relationship, thus the energy to be used should be light. If too much is invested at this stage, in terms of time, energy, or money, it will likely be wasted. Besides, hurry is a bad advisor for starting something.
2. Here, the energy can be used profitably as the attitude is one of restraint and moderation. Thus you can advance easily.
3. At this point you have a choice. It’s all about the appropriateness of the means you are using. If you think that all means are justified if only the purpose is correct, you act against the law of life. Successful people use appropriate means in every stage of a project, for this is in alignment with the principle of sustainability.
4. This line indicates that your attitude is just and balanced and that you are using your strength correctly, thus a great advance is possible!
5. Sometimes we need to sacrifice something for receiving something more valuable. This is also valid in the spiritual realm. When you give up a stubborn attitude in order to develop more smart for handling your problems, you have done the right choice. Then you will notice that you can advance more smoothly as a result.
6. Developed people educate themselves through successfully tackling their problems. When you practice introspection, you can know how to act properly and avoid obstacles that are the result of pushing forward. At this point, you should stand still for a moment and reflect what’s taking place around you. Then you can avoid conflict and the cycle of realization can be finalized successfully.