Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Contact / Encounter / Temptation
Beware of temptation!
The traditional image of this hexagram is that five men are competing for one woman, but she can only marry one of them; hence there is a contention within the situation but it is hidden. If the five yang lines do not cooperate, the negative yin line which approaches from below may inhibit any positive progress. However, this is inherent in the cyclic changes between yang and yin, and thus a natural situation. If you are aware of your limitations and shortcomings, you may still achieve success if you tread cautiously and practice persistence!
1. You are facing a situation of temptation. It looks like a good opportunity to be seized but there is danger if you go forward. Ignoring the problem will not help you deal with it, thus you should gain emotional awareness of it. But do not yield to the temptation either! If the temptation doesn’t present itself outwardly, it can be within you; you may be pondering a certain action which you should check back with your conscience, and if it’s not in accordance with your highest principles, the best is to change your intention to a better and more worthy goal.
2. You may seize the opportunity now, but the profits may be snatched away by a competitor; you need to act decisively and cautiously to prevent that from happening. Beware of letting others know about your plans; for the moment it’s better to act from behind the screen.
3. This is a situation of indecisiveness which causes restless behavior. Seeing things clearly at this point can prevent further problems. If you ponder a bold yet possibly incorrect action versus a cautious yet possibly correct action, you have a choice. Choose what is in alignment with your conscience and your highest principles!
4. You need to avoid going forward in this situation; you are in danger. Possibly your motives for action are incorrect or you are not collaborating sufficiently with others. Traditionally this line was depicting a man who courts a woman who is no more available and invites trouble because he uses force or cunning to win her over.
5. In this situation, you have passed the danger of the 4th line and are in a situation where you can build on the wisdom and inner strength you gained. You are in accordance with the cosmos and can dissolve any difficulty smoothly with the help of others.
6. This line depicts a situation where one is isolated from others because one is uncooperative. The choice here is yours. If you want to retreat from the project, you can do so without being harmed, else if you want to stay and go ahead, you can only do so by winning others over for your cause.