Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Force of Thunder / Shock / The Arousing
Awakening jolt. A blessing in disguise.
The image of his hexagram is that of a rolling thunder that jolts up and lets one correct one’s attitude. Shock is sometimes necessary to remove one from a position of complacency and inertia. To consider shock as a form of punishment would be misunderstanding the wisdom that this hexagram teaches. Calmness is always necessary in fulfilling great responsibility. It is especially important in dealing with shock and confusion, so as to dissolve any kind of inner entanglement and limitation. If one’s energy is scattered or disordered, one can be easily jolted by every shock that comes along, but one who is centered will act appropriately, regardless of what confronts him or her.
1. There may be some or the other circumstance that causes you shock. Do not feel defeated by it. It serves your awakening and progress once you understand it. You are ultimately benefited by the situation. In addition, you will have learnt a valuable lesson for coping with unexpected situations in the future.
2. If you go forward, you will meet danger. The image is that of a person who loses her fortune by hurrying to safety during a thunderstorm. However, in seven days he recovers his losses. Do not proceed!
3. You may experience such a shock that you feel terrified, but you should stay calm. In the end there is no trouble, but you should change your attitude. You can now make slight progress without mistakes. Do not lose your spontaneity and master your fear. When you keep your smart, you won’t make serious mistakes.
4. The image here is of a lightning that hits the mud, giving no power and no light. This is a metaphor for wasting energy. Stand still for now, as any progress will meet danger. Trust your inner guidance and the way out will be shown to you.
5. You are now aware of the danger which means you will also know that going ahead will trigger more shocking experiences for you. In such a situation, a wise person would stop and reflect. If you keep your smart and remain calm, you can transit this period of time safely. Put your life in order. There will be no damage if you don’t make mistakes.
6. No further movement should be made. Shock will hit your neighbor, not you. Though there is a treat, there is no real problem. Avoid action now, it’s the wrong moment to go forward, thus keep safe. Retreat is not weakness of character, and here it’s the only safe action.