Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Gradual Progress / Step-by-Step Plan / Positive Development
Slow but steady progress. Remain steadfast.
This hexagram symbolizes the union of male and female energies, or of any positive relationship. This type of internal harmony encourages the gradual development of a good relationship. The image is that of geese migrating to distant lands, being properly guided by their instinct. Geese symbolize proper inner guidance. Gradual progress leads one to higher levels of achievement. By slowly showing one’s talents and earning the trust of others, social relations may be positively developing.
1. Progress one step at a time and you will not run into danger. When you are criticized, you should not act defensively and instead progress inwardly, by focusing upon your goal and building more coherence. All success is the result of inner coherence. So prepare ahead and do not ask for a premature promotion at a time when you are not ready for delivering your smart.
2. You may have a fortune but if you clasp your hands around it, it will not benefit anybody for you will finally lose it. Sharing is the secret of all real wealth, for money is like water: it needs to flow! If you are aware that money needs to circulate in your life, you will give and receive with equal peace of mind. Then you are building the foundation of real wealth, and you will be blessed because you bless others.
3. This line traditionally speaks of a husband marching to war and a pregnant wife not giving birth. It is a situation of danger. Make sure that all risk you are taking is calculated. If you have bad experiences with others, avoid to pile up resentment and stay focused on your goals. You do not depend on outward circumstances for achieving success, for all success is the result of inner coherence. Hence, take care of your inner harmony, and all will be well.
4. There are cycles in life. If you recognize them, you win, if you overlook them, you lose. All is a matter of sensing your internal cycles. That means you need to be flexible and attentive. This is the safe way of doing things because you are aligned with your intuition. Every action needs to be checked back in order to see if it was appropriate for the time being, and within its own cycle of growth. If you do this, you will realize that you will gradually but securely advance.
5. If you cannot see advancement, or if you are surrounded by people who do not reflect to you your good intentions, do not become demotivated! You are advancing but this is a time of gradualness that you need to adapt to. You are about to make good connections for later successes. For the time being, you should be happy that you are progressing, one step at a time. Every cycle of evolution is different, for the timing is different, and once you understand that, you will have the right attitude to master this situation.
6. You will realize that once you have mastered your problems and know how to gradually advance in life, this is something not only for your own benefit, but also for the benefit of those who take you as an example. This means that your success is shared with all those who follow you, and this is a blessing in itself!