54. GUI MEI
Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
The Maiden / Marriage / Subordination
Know your proper place in life.
The present hexagram as well as the preceding one, Jian, were traditionally considered as marriage advice. While in Jian marriage is successfully achieved in gradual stages, here the literal translation is ‘a woman returns to where she belongs,’ suggesting that something is out of place. Indeed, harmony is the essence not only of a good marriage, but of any kind of relationship; this hexagram is in modern times no more restricted to marriage but gives advice for people behaving in social life, attributing to each person their proper place.
1. Your social situation is modest but others trust you. When you do your work dutifully and joyfully, you will advance and obstacles will vanish from your way. When your thoughts are harmonious, you build inner coherence, which is the condition for success.
2. You may have the impression to be in a treadmill and that things are not advancing. However, if you are persistent you will be making progress. Be patient and persevere!
3. You receive in life only what you are asking for. If you ask, it shall be given to you. But you must ask. Do not be too shy to have high ambitions, but work on your projects from inside out, realizing inner coherence, being peaceful and good-willed. On the outward level, be firm and persistent, then you will reach your goal.
4. This line was traditionally denoting a late marriage. However, it’s a positive reading in that the waiting time is passed by improving oneself and strengthening one’s character. Then the late marriage will be harmonious! Be patient, the relationship you are asking about, whatever it happens to be, will not progress at the present time. It is recommended to turn inward and practice self-cultivation.
5. This line is a positive reading for a person who is able to find his or her proper place and by being unassuming, responsible and flexible. You can make good progress now in a position where you serve and support another person, or a group of people. Your efforts are going to be rewarded!
6. You need to share your being with the world in order to be successful and rewarded. If you hold back or you play a role, acting under false pretenses, you will be found out, and you risk that people stop trusting you!