64. WEI JI
Base Structure of the I Ching
The Hexagrams — 01 QIAN (Yang) — 02 KUN (Yin) — 03 TUN (Difficult Beginning) — 04 MENG (Immaturity) — 05 XU (Waiting Patiently) — 06 SONG (Dispute) — 07 SHI (The Army) — 08 BI (Fellowship) — 09 XIAO CHU (Small Accumulation) — 10 LI (Conduct) — 11 TAI (Peace) — 12 PI (Obstacle) — 13 TONG REN (Fellowship) — 14 DA YOU (Great Harvest) — 15 QIEN (Modesty) — 16 YU (Enthusiasm) — 17 SUI (Compliance) — 18 GU (Correcting the Corruption) — 19 LIN (Advancing) — 20 GUAN (Contemplation) — 21 SHI HO (Biting Through Hardship) — 22 BI (Adornment) — 23 BO (Erosion) — 24 FU (Return) — 25 WU WANG (Innocence) — 26 DA CHU (Great Potential) — 27 YI (Nourishment) — 28 DA GUO (Critical Mass) — 29 KAN (Watery Depths) — 30 LI (Fire) — 31 XIAN (Mutual Attraction) — 32 HENG (Constancy) — 33 DUN (Retreat) — 34 DA ZHUANG (Power of the Great) — 35 JIN (Success) — 36 MING YI (Time of Darkness) — 37 JIA REN (Family) — 38 KUI (Contradiction) — 39 JIAN (Obstruction) — 40 JIE (Dissolution of the Problem) — 41 SUN (Sacrifice) — 42 YI (Benefit) — 43 GUAI (Resolution) — 44 GOU (Contact) — 45 CUI (Congregation) — 46 SHENG (Rising) — 47 KUN (Adversity) — 48 JING (The Well) — 49 GE (Revolution) — 50 DING (The Cauldron) — 51 ZHEN (Force of Thunder) — 52 GEN (Keeping Still) — 53 JIAN (Gradual Progress) — 54 GUI MEI (The Maiden) — 55 FENG (Peak) — 56 LU (The Wanderer) — 57 XUN (Gentle Wind) — 58 DUI (Joyousness) — 59 HUAN (Scattered) — 60 JIE (Self-Restraint) — 61 ZHONG FU (Inner Truth) — 62 XIAO GUO (Predominance of the Small) — 63 JI JI (After Crossing the Water) — 64 WEI JI (Before Crossing the Water)
Download PDF from Scribd
Download PDF from Scribd
Before Crossing the Water / Not Yet Done / Before Completion
The goal is within reach but do not celebrate prematurely!
This hexagram is the opposite of the previous one but here the opposites do not integrate. At this time matters should be handled carefully and prudently. The traditional image of this hexagram is a young fox crossing a frozen stream. The lower trigram (water) indicates danger because of inexperience, while the upper trigram (fire) expresses clarity and strength. Together they indicate the completion of a task, which means there is an opportunity.
1. The person who receives this line is unaware of his limitations and puts himself at risk. You may see that you need to put order in the situation, but you are not yet aware of all the hidden factors. Thus be cautious, refrain from action and trust your inner guidance. The way will be shown to you.
2. This line indicates that the person who receives it has more self-control and thereby is less endangered in the situation than the person of the first line. When you remain centered and focused upon your goal, the time for action will come. Don’t get discouraged by the standstill!
3. Your goal cannot be realized in the present situation. If you are focused and receptive to help, you may find support and can act in alignment with others. Refrain from single-handed maneuvers now!
4. There is a contention, perhaps within yourself, regarding some contradictory voices, or on the outward level, with others. Persevere and remain flexible, you shall be rewarded later as this line indicates success ‘by overcoming difficulties.’
5. This is a position of leadership. The 5th line represents a civilized, humble faithful and enlightened person who overcomes all obstacles and nobly reaches his or her goal. Great achievement is now possible for you!
6. The interpretation of the top line of this hexagram is quite contradictory across various I Ching editions. Some speak of failure, some speak of festivities to celebrate success, some warn of over-indulgence. So let us quote here the Chinese proverb that was traditionally associated with this line: ‘When happiness is enjoyed to its extreme, sadness results.’ A modern reading of this proverb doesn’t really look like an indication of failure, for the line only refers to one’s inner reality. So it would make more sense to see it as a warning against over-indulgence in a time of happy success!